Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Carsyn's First Month

What a month!  

When Carsyn was 4 days old, we were readmitted to the hospital for jaundice. She needed phototherapy.  She had also lost a lot of weight...too much weight.  She was very lethargic and would sleep for 6 hour stretches at night, wake up to nurse but was too sleepy to eat.  My milk didn't come in until day 6 so my pediatrician had me giving her formula since she couldn't afford to lose any more weight.  I was also pumping around the clock.  Her labs were better and we were able to come home after almost 2 days.  The next 3 weeks consisted of me crying and worrying, 1.5 hours feedings (40 minutes breastfeeding, 15 minutes of supplementing with a bottle...(this was a must for weight gain), and 15 more minutes of pumping after EVERY feeding...(yes, even during the night), so needless to say, I was going insane.  We were seeing a lactation consultant/dr. twice a week for weight checks AND also a visiting nurse for weight and lab checks on other days.  I was so scared to put her on the scale.  One day she gained an ounce and the next she lost two.  It was so frustrating especially since we were giving her formula so we knew she was getting plenty plus what she got breastfeeding.  This roller coaster ride seemed to go on forever.  Finally around 3 weeks she seemed to perk up.  She was waking on her own to eat instead of me waking her up.  Her jaundice was so much better. She only had yellow in her eyes.  I was still supplementing but she was finally putting on some weight.  

At her 1 month checkup, she was finally back to birth weight.  I was so happy and relieved!  She's much more alert and jaundice is completely gone!  After that checkup, I started exclusively breastfeeding during they day.  I make enough for her from 5a-5p but have to supplement the rest of the night.  I've tried everything to build my supply and I refuse to pump during the night anymore!!!  The 2 lactation consultants I'm seeing say they don't know how I've managed to keep this going with 2 other children at home under 5.  It has been very hard and a lot of Mommy Guilt since I'm neglecting the bigger girls, but I'm taking it day by day.  I don't see how I can continue to work at feeding her, especially since B is leaving soon.  But, I'm not ready to stop yet, so I'm chugging along!  One day at a time.   We had a checkup yesterday and she's 9.2 at 5.5 weeks!  She's growing just fine now and that makes this Momma happy!

She's a great baby. LOVES to be snuggled and held but has been sleeping at night since we brought her home.  She eats and goes right back to sleep until the next feeding.  I feed her at 10pm and she eats around 3 and again around 6-7.  SO lucky I know!  The girls absolutely adore her and she knows their voices and will find them if they are talking. They are also a big help to me! She's got big eyes like Callie but other features like Cami. I see a lot of both girls in her. I had hoped she would be a good mixture of the two of them. Her eyes are looking light blue. That's how Callie's were for almost a year before they turned green/hazel like Brien's.  Guess Cami will be the only one with my brown eyes.  




Aunt Sherry and MeMe

Readmitted for jaundice and weight


The only good thing about going back to the hospital is that I got more chicken pot pie.  It was SOOOOO good there and I ate it every meal!  Ha Ha!



I love seeing Carsyn wear a lot of Callie's baby clothes.  I have this same picture of Callie wearing this same outfit.


This is how I find the girls...a lot of the time.  They love their baby sister.


Big eyes!


She loves to snuggle and take naps with Mommy


I love the little faces and sounds they make when they are sleeping/dreaming.




Snuggling with Mommy after the 6am feeding.  


This is a picture from her first week. Look how yellow she is!









She wasn't a fan of baths at first but she's getting better and better. She loves having her hair washed. Who doesn't????


Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Poppa and Carsyn


After her first sponge bath at home.



Poppa, Grammy, and the girls


It's been a crazy month but things are finally settling down.  I've had a ton of support and it has been amazing.  I had meals coming twice a week for an entire month (delicious meals) so I didn't have to worry about cooking.  I've had friends invite us over and stop by for some visits.  B's family and mine were able to come and help out a lot while we were busy with appointments and at the hospital. We are so blessed to have so much support!

No comments:

Post a Comment